A few words About our name
In classical Chinese, yi guan translates to the concept of “linking.” The clinic shares the name of an elegant classical formula that links several patterns of symptoms under one treatment principle. It is the mission of our clinic to link East and West, as well as ancient and modern, into one elegant treatment philosophy and practice.
Though different characters and tonal pronunciation, a homonym for yi guan translates to “medical officer,” and is an homage to Dr. Perez’s prior career as a medical examiner, bringing a honed skill in diagnostic pattern recognition to bear in increasing the health and longevity of his patients.
Dr. Dan Perez
Dr. Perez has a longstanding interest in traditional Chinese medicine and culture. His first martial arts and qigong master was a skilled Chinese herbal practitioner and Daoist scholar who regularly demonstrated the practical benefits of traditional Chinese medicine. Before completing his training at AOMA in Austin, Dr. Perez studied East Asian languages and culture at Columbia University while majoring in molecular biology. He went on to attend medical school in New York and completed his training as a forensic pathologist in Texas. Repeated and preventable patterns of disease observed during years of autopsies spurred him to pursue his dream of expanding his understanding of systems of wellness and illness beyond that of allopathic medicine. His mission at Yi Guan Acupuncture and Chinese Herbalism is to link his past training and experience—a culmination of a life of interest.
- Master of Acupuncture with a specialization in Chinese Herbalism – AOMA, Austin, Texas
- Forensic Pathology Fellow – Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office, San Antonio, Texas
- Anatomical and Clinical Patholog Residency – Stony Brook University Medical Center, Stony Brook, NY
- Anatomical and Clinical Pathology Internship – George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Doctorate of Medicine – State University of New York at Downstate College of Medicine, Brooklyn, NY
- Bachelor of Arts – Columbia University, New York, NY